Books for Kids

An irregularly updated review of current and classic children's literature.

Monday, December 06, 2004

The Big Ugly Monster and the Little Stone Rabbit by Christopher Wormell

The Big Ugly Monster and the Little Stone Rabbit is a fantastically written and drawn book, but I'm not sure to whom I would ever give or read this book. That doesn't quite make sense does it. It is the story of an very ugly monster who doesn't have any friends because he is so ugly. The ugly monster ends up making himself a friend out of stone, a small rabbit. Then after many years the monster dies, and all that remains is the stone rabbit. I let my wife read this book, and she was so sad and depressed when she finished it that I had to find her a funny happy book to clear her mind.

So even though this is a well written, and interesting story, I'm not really sure it would be appropriate for any young child to hear, unless you are willing to deal with the consequences.

Ages: 4 to 8 (but read the book for yourself before reading it to a child)
Keywords: Companionship, Death, Loneliness, Sadness

Lesson Plans: None, because I wouldn't use this in a class setting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - this is a fantastic, moving book but I'm not sure I get it. Is th message that we should be scared of ugly things? Or that indeed beauty is skin deep?

None the less this is one of my fav books.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I plan to read this to a first grade class, and then discuss how the monster changed things for the better, how the rabbit was a loyal friend to the end, and how the beautiful blossoms when the monster died were like the monster on the inside. (beautiful).

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my 2 year old's favourite book... and believe me we have a massive library. I think this story is fantastic!!!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise