Books for Kids

An irregularly updated review of current and classic children's literature.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Even More Parts by Tedd Arnold

Tedd Arnold has returned with yet another sequel to his fantastic book, Parts. Even More Parts is not a story like Parts or More Parts, but it is a collection of the strange things that adults often say to children. This is an excellent introduction to the use of idioms in language. On one page Arnold shows a teacher saying, "I want all eyes on me." Every student is shown throwing their eyeballs at the teacher. I am guilty of saying that to my students often, after reading this book I think I will need to be much more careful.

This is a very good book, but it does lose some points because it is not the same sort of rhyming and easily flowing book like Parts. Still it is an excellent introduction to lots of different idioms, and his illustrations are even more hilarious than in the previous two books. Each page also contains smaller illustrations to show related idioms.

Age Level: 4 to 8, but I could see using this with older children also
Keywords: Idioms, Language, Body Parts, Humor
Lesson Plan Ideas: An excellent introduction to idiomatic language. Have children illustrate other idioms with which they are familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise