Books for Kids

An irregularly updated review of current and classic children's literature.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Parts by Tedd Arnold (2nd Review)

I spent the weekend with my four-year old niece (and other members of my wife's family). I brought along a bunch of my favorite books from the past several months to share with her. Of all the books that I read she told me that Parts was her favorite. Why because the book is silly and it has lots of funny and gross pictures. What's not to love, this book has it all boogers, loose teeth, peeling skin, and even dreaded ear wax.

Arnold's pictures are hilarious. His eyeballs are the absolute best. His writing is also great, lots of rhyming and a good cadence that keeps the book flowing. This is a great book for all young hypochondriacs in training. He has written two sequels, More Parts and Even More Parts.

Visit Tedd Arnold's web page at http://www.geocities.com/~teddarnold/.
*****Original review follows*****

Today was day 2 of my Story Corner program at the library. I read 4 books again: Turtle in the Sea, Players in Pigtails, Two Old Potatoes and Me, and Parts. My read aloud program isn't really geared at a specific age, but at everyone who is in the children's area of the library at 2 PM. I am reading to a group of anywhere from 3 to 20 kids ranging in age from 2 to 9 (older if we count the parents).

When I originally started the program I was going to have a weekly theme, but I've decided against that because I need to appeal to such a wide range of kids. The only part of the theme I am trying to stick to is starting each Story Corner session with a book that has to do with water or water creatures. Today's theme reading was Jim Arnosky's book Turtle in the Sea.

The book that had the biggest response was Parts written and illustrated by Tedd Arnold. Before you even read a word you can tell it is going to be funny because of Arnold's funny looking pictures---all the characters have oversized heads, undersized bodies, and big bulging eyes. You can't help but laugh.

Once you start reading the book gets even funnier...it is an account of the world's youngest hypochondriac. He thinks he is going bald, losing his brain, losing all his teeth....and that's just for starters. The kids were rolling in their seats laughing as one disgusting thing after another happened.

A big thumbs up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise