Books for Kids

An irregularly updated review of current and classic children's literature.

Monday, August 09, 2004

My Pig Amarillo by Satomi Ichikawa

My review won't be that objective for that book. I loved this story of Pablito and his pet pig, Amarillo because it took place in the tiny Guatemalan village of Todos Santos. Todos Santos is a place I was lucky enough to visit during the Spring of 2000.

Ichikawa's illustrations are absolutely stunning....even though she does not mention the village by name I knew it immediately by her colorful drawings of people, buildings, and geography.

Her story is cute and touching. It is about Pablito, a young boy who raises and evenutally loses his pet pig. Pablito is filled with the same sadness as anyone who has lost a pet feels. His grandfather helps him come to grips with his loss by practicing the ancient custom of sending a message to the deceased on All Saints Day (Todos Santos in Spanish). Pablito then constructs a kite to send his message. Pablito then recieves a message back in the form of a large cloud formation that looks just like Pablito.

This is a good book for examining how different cultures deal with loss. There is an introduction to a few Spanish words (my one complaint about the book, because it takes part in a portion of Guatemala where Spanish is not the principal language). Many of Ichikawa's books deal with places she has visited and I can't wait to explore more of her books.

I recommend this book strongly for those 6 and over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise