Books for Kids

An irregularly updated review of current and classic children's literature.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza

Yes, it was my lucky day today discovering this book. My Lucky Day turns almost every previous fairy tale on its ear when fox meets piglet. This was a fun read aloud book, because all of the children were surprised because the story had a good unexpected ending. I would like to say more about Kasza's story, but I want each of you to have the same first encounter that I and my audience had with it today. The young children at my story corner today were able to appreciate the humor and surprise of the story because of a basic familiarity with common fairy tales. Good for ages 3 and up.

The other books read today:
1. Anansi the Spider by Gerald McDermott
I wasn't sure how the kids would respond to this book, but they all followed along, and made good predictions as the story progressed.
2. Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Harry Bliss
I've linked to my previous review. As I said before I love the humor in this book, but I found when reading this to a younger crowd (most were under 5), I was having to explain a lot of the jokes because they didn't have enough prior knowledge of worms. I am also not sure if the younger groups are able to handle the diary entries (Though I didn't seem to have this problem when I read Diary of a Wombat)
3. Goodnight Lulu by Paulette Bogan
4. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems

This is a fantastic book for a read aloud, there is an opportunity for your listeners to participate on almost every page. As much fun as the listeners had participating, I had more fun acting out the part of tantrum throwing pigeon. I am looking for more recommendations of books like this one by Mo Willems.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your boat name number old tug blog is great thanks

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise