Books for Kids

An irregularly updated review of current and classic children's literature.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type

Author: Doreen Cronin
Illustrator: Betsy Lewin

Today was my first read aloud at the library. I read four books today: Fish Wish , The Day I Became A Pirate, The Old Man and The Flea, and Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type.

I previously reviewed both Fish Wish and The Day I Became A Pirate. Both books were well received, especially the pirate book. Probably better received because it is fun to talk like a pirate---there were lots of spots that I was able to have the kids act like pirates. I will talk about The Old Man and the Flea in a future review.

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type is fantastic because it is funny and mildly subversive at the same time. Even though most kids in attendance had heard the book (and most multiple times) they were clamoring to hear the story once again. A brief summary of the story is that the cows have somehow obtained an old typewriter, and they have been using it to write letters and make demands of their boss Farmer Brown. As you can guess Farmer Brown doesn't like to be told what to do by his cows, or any of his other animals for that matter. Problems escalate and before you know it the cows are on strike.

This book has fun artwork, fun word pacing (just practice saying "Click, Clack, Moo" to yourself several times and you will see what I mean), and a fun plot. I loved it, and more importantly the kids loved it.

Doreen Cronin has also written two other related books: Giggle, Giggle, Quack and Duck for President. She also wrote another favorite of mine, which I reviewed previously: Diary of a Worm.

I look forward to reading more of Cronin's future work. I certainly hope she keeps up her subversive streak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise